Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Tytoo Gardens - Haiti


Ok you might be wondering what these pics are about. It actually goes back a long time. I met a young missionary from Haiti(now 26 years old) a few years ago and we have kept in touch. To make a long story short, he was abducted and held for ransom in Haiti last December during a trip he made to an orphanage there called Tytoo Gardens. The man with him in the vehicle, Ed (in the pictures) was shot and lost his arm. The friend of mine was abducted, but released three days later. In the meantime, he preached to his captors and was able to intervene to save some of the other hostages. He was released and has since then been trying to raise the level of awareness of the conditions in Haiti. He is a man of prayer; an evangelist and apostle. He was a port chaplain in
Port-au-Prince for a few years before going to Florida to bible school. He presently lives in Florida with his Haitian wife and young child. He travels to Haiti & Dominican Republic regularly even though his life is still in danger. (for that reason I won't give out his name).

Anyway, the story continues - There are recent developments with the orphanage in Haiti. The man who runs the orphanage called Tytoo Gardens, Ed Hughes (who lost his arm last time), was captured this past Sunday by bandits and is being held for ransom. My missionary friend called me on Tuesday as soon as he heard about it from another man, who had just returned from the orphanage. My friend asked me what to do, as Ed is a Canadian citizen. I didn't know but I told him I would get to work on it right away. I uttered a brief prayer and then I surfed the internet trying to find a contact number. Finally on a Foreign Affairs site, I managed to get a phone number. I got a phone message but at the end of it, it said "if this is an emergency, press 1".. so I pressed 1 and immediately a Francophone male answered the phone. (My friend from Haiti speaks french of course!) Praise God! I explained the situation, and once he heard that Ed was a Canadian, he requested my friends number. He called my friend and got all the info, then sent it off to the Canadian Embassy in Haiti. It is now all over the newpapers, and was in the National News last night. I have been in touch with my missionary friend and he has been trying to negotiate Ed's release. The captors told him he had until Thursday at noon to come up with a very large sum of money. No money will be paid. Pray that my friend who is presently
working on this and speaking to the captors will have wisdom to know what to say to them. Please pray for this man, Ed, and the children at the orphanage and pray especially for the nation of Haiti, the poorest and most forgotten land in the Western Hemisphere...God has not forgotten Haiti!

For more information please visit this site: there are some interviews and videos
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060620
/haiti_kidnap_folo_060621/20060621?hub=Canada
Or just put Ed Hughes Haiti kidnapping in your search engine

No comments: