Thursday, January 08, 2009

Less of Me

Dig the mud from my mossy wells
On these manicured lawns rake away the stones
Weed the weeds from all my beds
Take the cold from all my bones
Stoke my coals that barely ember
When I should be burning in heaven’s consuming hearth
In my eyeballs blue those flames reflect

Un-sear my conscience burnt with iron cast
Blinded by the steam of seeing
In my weakness let Your strength
All Your life to speak from me
Mine eyes be light and single
Un-erred by fear of men
That they may see less of me

Trawl my heart for hidden splinters
Scan my mind of worldly kosmos
That hangs my neck time after time
Like fish on the hook
The secrets are in Your book
Thank You for the thorns that pierce
That prick with needles crusty dust
Turning to Your face I can
Eye to eye cheek to cheek
Hand to hand to You we turn we must

Break the jawbones of my foes
Re-arrange my heart and soul
Smash my tongue with heated coal
Don't hold back Your perfect work
Prepare me for the kiln of truth
The Highlands sing the song of clans
I can hear Your song for me
Your tender hand extending nigh
That I may live the truth and kill the lie

For You I long from this unpleasant tent
I long for ownership dominion all
Not to dance in tattered clothes for rent
I call my lover Lord
King, Warrior, Friend and Brother
The urbane blend of sundry heavens
Take all my leaven that falsifies this loaf
My incense I yearn to fill the air
But pure must it surely be
Aroma sweet to smell for You
So dig it deep my beautiful reverent King
And let it be less of me.

On the train England
9th February 2000
Stephen Bennett

No comments: