Friday, February 23, 2007

Content to be..

Its been a long time since I posted something more personal. Im not a great writer and generally I can find things that people have written that say things I feel or want to express. Sometimes its good to write my own personal thoughts down so here goes:

Do you ever mix up who you are with what you do? Or who you are with your gifting? I remember managing a restaurant in my twenties and deciding I needed a change from that kind of work. I had been in the position for a number of years. Soon after my job change, I began to experience a kind of withdrawl. I realized that I needed to separate my identity from what I did and my giftings. It was very difficult as I seem to attach myself to this very easily without even knowing it. Anyway, the Lord challenged me on this again the other day.

Lord I want to find my identity in you alone. I thought I had, but here I am again. Its so easy to fall into the flesh and begin striving, thinking that I have to perform somehow or try to please you with all my doing. I release all that to you and am, content to be your child. You can give or take away; either way I will bless your Name. I give you who I am so that I can be found in you; more of you and less of me. Forgive and cleanse me of pride. I lay down all that you have given me, including gifts, talents, ambitions, hopes and plans. Make me your bondservant, chained only to you.. AMEN.

A Man of Great Wisdom Turns to Idolatry
This is perhaps one of the most tragic stories in the Bible... the story of Solomon, a man who came to the throne in great humility, and built a temple for the name of God... and later turned to idolatry. (See 1 Kgs 11:5,6). God knows the subtlety of the human heart far better than we do. And may we pray earnestly, "O Lord, Thou who alone knowest the hearts of all men, search me and know me, try me and know my thoughts, see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting". God warned Israel what would happen when they came into Canaan, the land of fruitfulness and abundance. "Beware", He said, lest when you become rich and prosperous, "Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the LORD thy God" (See Deut 8:14). I am not talking merely about natural prosperity. There is a spiritual prosperity that the Church is boasting about these days, and God looks down and sees the utmost spiritual poverty. God will reveal in the Day of the LORD, in the Day of His fire, whether our works have brought glory to His Name, how much of it is "gold, silver, and precious stones" and how much is "wood, hay, and stubble". We thank the Lord for every good and perfect gift that He bestows upon us; but let not our prayers stop there. We must find the grace to lay it all down at His feet, in loving self-sacrifice unto Him. For unless we do that, we cannot be His disciples (Lk 14:33). ~ George Warnock (Templebuilders)

How Deep the Father's Love

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turned His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the man upon a cross!
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life;
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything:
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ;
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart:
His wounds have paid my ransom

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Cathy

Well said! I believe we all fall in this catagory from time to time..

lois said...

You certainly can write Cathy! This is good... i hear what you're saying :-)

Blessings!
Lois