Monday, December 11, 2006

from our friend Vicky - missionary in China..

I received a newsletter from Vicky just yesterday. What I read really amazed me. Here is an exerpt from her newsletter..Keep in mind that Vicky is in her mid-twenties...

...there is a reason why this year I am drawn to the Joy of Christ, more than the years before. This semester, as I took on a new leadership role, I took on many responsibilites, which I knew would either leave me tired & frustrated as I relied on my own abilities, or humble and joyful as I depended on Christ as my sufficiency. So, I decided to make it my priority to hear from Him and follow Him every day. As a result, I experienced more and more joy in my life. Even when I was sick for 2-3 weeks, when I was food-poisioned, when I was tired from a busy week, when I was facing mini-crisis in my relationships with teammates and friends, even when I couldn't seem to see God working in my life for a stretch of time, ..even then I would be "surprised by joy"...

One day a young friend shared with me her definition of happiness. She said that if she graduates from university, gets a decent job with decent pay, marries and has a family, and can make them happy, she would be happy. I smiled and said to her, "Do you know what kind of happiness I desire?". She shook her head. "What?" she asked.

"The happiness I want is one that I can experience even when things are tough. Even if I'm sick and dying, paralyzed or in a coma, even if I'm poor and hungry, even after I lose my loved ones...I can still be happy. That is the kind of happiness I want. And it's possible to possess such happiness. The Bible calls it joy". The joy Jesus talks about is abundant in quantity, indestructible in the face of the worst suffering and persecution, eternal and absolute in reality....


I am humbled to read this...and amazed at her insight and desire to follow the Lord even in suffering. This type of faith is so uncommon these days. She serves as an example to me!

Dear Lord: I pray for Vicky that she would know you more and more..and that she would experience the love of God --the height, depth, and breadth of the love of Christ for her...and that you would sustain her and keep her and make your face shine upon her. May your grace and peace abound toward her..and fill her with your peace!

God bless you Vicky. You are an inspiration!

No comments: