Sunday, November 19, 2006

Rebellion

Rebellion does not nullify God's promises to us nor disqualify us from inheriting them. God's grace guarantees that they are always available to us when we sincerely turn our hearts back to Him.
" . . . after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to [Israel]. For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an unexpected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. And I will be found of you, saith the Lord: and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places whither I have driven you saith the Lord; and I will bring you again into the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive" (Jeremiah 29:10-14 Brackets and italics mine).

I am tremendously encouraged by these words of our gracious and merciful Father. The wonder and glory of His faithfulness and love are stunning. Yes, there will be discipline. Yes, He chastises us when we walk according to the letter of the law instead of the voice of His Spirit. No! Rebellion does not nullify His promises to us nor disqualify us from inheriting them. It guarantees they are always available to us when we sincerely turn our hearts back to Him.
We either hear and obey the voice of God or we walk under the law which is idolatry.

Dire Consequences—Idolatry
Scripture teaches over and over again that we either hear the voice of God or walk under the law, which is idolatry. The cornerstone reference to this statement is Jeremiah 11:1-11 (NAS).

"The word which came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying, 'Hear the words of this covenant, and speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and say to them, "Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, 'Cursed is the man who does not heed [hear] the words of this covenant, which I commanded your forefathers in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, from the iron furnace, saying, "Listen [Hear] my voice, and do according to all which I command you, so that you shall be My people, and I will be your God, in order to confirm the oath which I swore to your forefathers, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey, as it is this day.'" And the Lord said to me, 'Proclaim all these words in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem, saying "Listen [Hear] the words of this covenant and do them. For I solemnly warned your fathers in the day that I brought them up from the land of Egypt, even to this day, warning persistently, saying, 'Listen [Hear] my voice.' Yet they did not obey (hear) or incline their ear, but walked each one, in the stubbornness of his evil heart; therefore I brought on them all the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do, [which was 'hear my voice'] but they did not. Then the Lord said to me, 'A conspiracy has been found among the men of Judah and among the inhabitants of Jerusalem. They have turned back to the iniquities of their ancestors who refused to hear my words, and they have gone after other gods to serve them; the house of Israel and the house of Judah have broken My covenant which I made with their father.'"

Many other scriptures validate the principle that we walk in idolatry when we don't hear and obey His voice.

"This evil people, which refuse to hear my words, which walk in the imagination of their heart, and walk after other gods, to serve them, and to worship them, shall even be as this girdle, which is good for nothing" (Jeremiah 13:10).
"And it shall come about if you ever forget the Lord your God, and go after other gods and serve them and worship them, I testify against you today that you shall surely perish. Like the nations that the Lord makes to perish before you, so you shall perish; because you would not listen to the voice of the Lord your God" (Deuteronomy 8:19-20 NAS Italics mine).
"But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them, I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it" (Deuteronomy 30:17-18).
"And it shall come to pass, when thou shalt shew this people all these words, and they shall say unto thee, Wherefore hath the Lord pro-nounced all this great evil against us? or what is our iniquity? or what is our sin that we have committed against the Lord our God? Then shalt thou say unto them, Because your fathers have forsaken me, saith the Lord, and have walked after other gods, and have served them, and have worshipped them, and have forsaken me, and have not kept my law; And ye have done worse than your fathers; for, behold, ye walk every one after the imagination of his evil heart, that they may not hearken unto me" (Jeremiah 16:10-13 Underlining mine).


We can be sure if the glory of God's presence is not with us we are worshiping the God of our own stubbornness—the god of our own choice or imagination and the lust of our own hearts (Jeremiah 13:10, 16:12).

The root word for stubborness, lust and imagination means "enemy". Thus when we walk under the letter of the law rather than according the leading of the Spirit of God, we are enemies of God. James actually says that that we are adulterers—friends of the world and enemies of God.
Adultery, idolatry and friendship with the world are synonymous.

"Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God" (James 4:4).

Adultery and idolatry are synonymous in both the Hebrew and the Greek. The evidence keeps piling up, doesn't it?

Curses Instead of Blessings
The blessings of God come to those who "hearken diligently to the voice of the Lord thy God" (Deuteronomy 28:1-2 Italics mine). The curses come to those who "wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God" (Deuteronomy 28:15 Italics mine). Legalism steals almost all of our blessings. The one it does not steal is the steadfast love of God. The hound of heaven never stops working in our lives, even when we are running from Him.

Abide, Practice, Trust, Obey
How do we learn to hear the voice of the Lord? First, abide, abide, abide in God's Word for therein is the truth that will set us free. Second, practice, practice, practice. Third, trust, trust, trust. And fourth, obey, obey, obey. Seek confirmation for the big things and look for confirmation for everything. There are several criteria for discerning the voice of the Lord. One, the Lord will never contra- dict the truth of His word. Two, He will always confirm what He has spoken. My personal criteria are 1) to love and want truth more than my own way, and 2) to seek confirmation from a mature, fruitful believer. I frequently pray for the Lord to correct me quickly. It is better for me to be right with the Lord than to be right in my own eyes.

No comments: