Thursday, September 14, 2006

Healing Process

" For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
God believes in the principle of highest and best use! Certainly our perfect use is to fulfill the will of God for our lives. To see that accomplished, it’s important to take an active role in the removal of harmful behaviors and attitudes.
" You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."
Ephesians 4:22-24 (NIV)

The point must not be lost to us. It is very important to repent of our sins, and to seek to correct the mistakes of the past, but part of that process is to go in a new direction. Our new self is made in His image! Now, we are to live like it. The Apostle Paul wrote in the great chapter on love:
" When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." 1 Corinthians 13:11 (NIV)
The Greek word used for "put away" is ‘katargeo’. It is a strong verb meaning to abolish, wipe out, or set aside. Childish perceptions need to purposely be reviewed and replaced with accurate understanding, and with biblical truth. In the Book of Ecclesiastes it reads; "...a time to plant and a time to uproot." (3:1-NIV) I also want to share with you about tearing up roots- bitter roots.
" See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many." Hebrews 12:15 (NIV)
We have all had parents that were less than perfect. Maybe we had situations that happened to us that hurt us, or frightened us. If we have allowed ourselves to become resentful and bitter over people and events in our past, we have allowed bitter roots to take hold. Just like the root system of a plant, these resentments can go deep and spread to many other areas of our lives. The only way to deal with a bad root system is to tear it out. When it comes to our bitter roots, that means we must seek the power of the Holy Spirit, and the Word of God. If we hold on to these feelings, just as Scripture promises, they defile many.
Here are some questions we can ask ourselves:
* Who do I yet need to forgive and set free from the prison of my mind?
*Who have I judged or criticized and have long since forgotten?
*Is it possible that I have judged, criticized, and/or raged against my parents and God and that memory is buried in my innermost being?
* Do I have the attitude that life is unfair and that problems seem to track me down?
* Am I presently involved in an "impossible" relationship that seems to have no workable solution?
* Am I teachable enough to accept the fact that there might be deep, hidden things buried in my memory that I have long since forgotten that I need to release to the ministry of the Holy Spirit?
* How willing am I to experience Ecclesiastes 1:18,("For with much wisdom comes much sorrow, with much knowledge comes much grief.")to find the answers to my problems and who I really am?
* Is the law of sowing and reaping working in my life and in my relationships in a beneficial way?
Here are some things we can do to deal with our answers:
* Make a list of the people that you need to forgive. Include in this list those whom you have judged or criticized in the past and in the present.
* Make another list of people whom you know who hold resentments against you. Include those who have in some way held charges against you.
* Who are the people in your life now who are irritating you or are in some way causing you problems? List them.
* What seems to happen to you repeatedly in your life and in your relationships? (Betrayal, insults, put-downs, judgments, neglects, etc.) List them.
This can be a painful process but it is well worth it to be free of our pasts. The most important part of this process is to bring everything to the Cross! No man can ultimately forgive our sins or our pasts. No man can heal our emotions or our hurts we have suffered. No man that is except one, Jesus Christ. When we bring our lives under His control, the slate is wiped clean. On a final note, the word confess means to bemoan and throw away. Own - Bemoan - Thrown!

WHY WRITE IT OUT?
It helps us to focus and be specific. We can tend to generalize our sin(s) so it does not seem so bad. Identifying our sins and character defects( more sins), is important in stopping behavior patterns, such as blaming others, and in becoming aware of self-destructive or defeating thoughts that are rooted in childish fears. We must forgive others but we must also forgive ourselves. To write this out helps us to have clarity of thought and purpose.

RESULTS
The end result of working, of agonizing our way through this is best described by our Creator Himself.
" Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance; and so they will inherit a double portion in their land, and everlasting joy will be theirs." Isaiah 61:7 (NIV)

Prayer: Lord God, help us to press on in , even when it is so hard to face the sins, hurts, and destruction of our pasts. Give us your Grace, your Wisdom, your Strength, but most of all; thank you for your everlasting love. In the Name of your precious Son...

No comments: